Governing Board Policies
Section J - Students
Policy Title: Administering Medicines to Students
Policy Code: JLCD
Print Version In MS Word | In Adobe
Under certain circumstances, when it is necessary for a student to take medicine during school hours, the District health service providers will arrange for the administration of such medicine if the following requirements are met:
- The school will need written permission from the parent to allow the school or the student to administer prescription medicine.
- In exceptional circumstances, over-the-counter medication and treatment may be given without specific parental permission. However, the School Nurse must be contacted and specifically verify the need for over-the-counter medication, without waiting for parental authorization, and efforts to contact the parents or guardian of the student shall continue, even after the giving of the medication, until the parent or guardian is reached.
- Appropriate forms are available from the school office.
- The medicine must come to the school office in the prescription container. If it is over-the-counter medication, it must be in the original container and accompanied by a physician’s authorization, unless it falls within the categories of over-the-counter medication allowed by regulation for short-term administration without requiring a physician’s authorization.
- Additionally, students may self-administer medication as allowed by state law.
- Parents of students with diabetes shall annually submit a diabetes management plan.
- Voluntary Diabetes Care Assistants, as described in A.R.S. §15-344.01, and/or Trained Diabetes Personnel (American Diabetes Association), shall be trained to administer emergency medications to students with diabetes.
- Field Trips
- Medication must be administered by a District employee as designated by the principal.
- Parent or Guardian will be asked to provide an extra prescription container for field trip purposes. If the extra prescription container is not provided, the health office staff will send the school prescription container on the field trip.
The District reserves the right, in accordance with procedures established by the Director of Health Services, to circumscribe or disallow the use or administration of any medication on school premises if the threat of abuse or misuse of the medicine may pose a risk of harm to a member or members of the student population.
Adopted: February 14, 2006
Revised: July 28, 2009
Corrected: February 7, 2012 [Correction of Statutory Citation Only]
Revised: October 23, 2012
LEGAL REF.: A.R.S. 15-341