Title I - Private School Support
TUSD Travel Policy for Private Schools
Travel Policy for Private Schools (Printable version)
- Travel Planning Form (use this form to submit your request to use Title funds to travel for professional development activities)
- Arizona Reimbursement Rates (use information in this document to determine per diems for your travel)
- Reimbursement Claim Form (use this form when submitting your receipts for travel reimbursement)
- For a graphic depiction of the procurement process, use this link.
Travel cost estimations using the Travel Planning Form must be submitted to the TUSD Title I Office before all travel occurs. Requests to use Title funds to travel for Professional Development activities must include:
- Registration Forms - Requisitions for conference registrations must be submitted with a copy of the conference flyer, conference schedule, and completed conference registration form. The actual registration cannot be completed before a purchase order is issued and in hand. If it is agreed that registration will be reimbursed, you may include receipt that is paid by school or attendee.
- Air Travel - On requisitions for airline travel, TUSD must work with a travel agent to establish itineraries and purchase flights. If you have multiple staff attending the same conference, we will make arrangements for your staff to travel together with an itinerary that is reasonable and appropriate to the conference schedule. In order to book the flights with TUSD’s contracted travel agent, we will need dates of travel and each employee’s name and date of birth exactly as they appear on their IDs.
- We will not arrange for travel that is not a round trip from Tucson or for early arrivals or late departures. If any of your staff prefer to make their own travel arrangements, they will be reimbursed after the event. We will need a copy of their airline reservation as part of the requisition request. Reimbursements will be given up to the cost of the travel agent round trip quote.
- We will automatically factor in baggage fees per person, shuttle/taxi/parking, and per diem.
- Driving – Mileage estimation including number of private vehicles. Final odometer readings for each vehicle will be required in order to process reimbursements.
- Hotel - If possible, staff must stay at a designated conference hotel. If they do not, they will be reimbursed at the State of Arizona’s lodging per diem rates. The quote confirmation must include the daily room rate, room/local/state tax, resort charge, if applicable, and any mandatory charges (i.e. parking). Please be aware that hotels vary in their acceptance of purchase orders or checks for payment. We will do what we can to cover this cost in advance, but staff may need to pay for their rooms and be reimbursed.
- Because most hotels DO NOT accept purchase orders, please allow processing well in advance of the event, so that TUSD will have time to send a check to the hotel for payment.
- Food Per Diem - Please note that although we do our best to calculate per diem, the Finance department makes adjustments as necessary according to state guidelines. Meals are calculated from the time travel begins until the time of arrival back in Tucson. Meals will be reimbursed at the State of Arizona per diem rates ranging from $34.00 - $59.00 per day. To be eligible for lodging and meal expenses, the traveler must travel outside a radius of 50 miles from the traveler’s personal residence and duty post.
- There are no cash advances for any travel expenses (gas, food, etc.).
- Expenses for family members for lodging, meals, or transportation will NOT be reimbursed. Do NOT combine receipts between staff and their families.
Normal requisition processing for goods or services require 10-15 working days (from requisition to purchase order) assuming that all information submitted is correct and complete. Certain requests may take longer depending upon TUSD workflow or state procurement laws. In particular, please allow 4 to 6 weeks for conference travel and hotel requisitions.
Please pay attention to the days that TUSD has scheduled on its calendar as vacation or holidays since TUSD will not be staffed on those days and will not be processing requisitions.
A requisition is NOT a permission to purchase. Private Schools must be in receipt of a purchase order number before a commitment or promise to purchase goods or services may be made. FOR THE PROTECTION OF ALL PARTIES, NO SERVICES/GOODS/TRAVEL MAY BE ORDERED WITHOUT A VALID TUSD PURCHASE ORDER NUMBER. To do so may result in non-payment.
|After Travel is Completed:
Once travel has taken place, original receipts are required for final reimbursement submissions. Please use the Private School Reimbursement Claim Request Form to submit your receipts. All paperwork and receipts should be submitted within 10 days of travel. Anything not submitted with the original paperwork packet will not be reimbursed.
Please note: Original itemized receipts and ticket stubs must be submitted to substantiate all reimbursement claims. Fax copies cannot be accepted.
- W-9 Form – Must be filled out for each person requesting a reimbursement. This form is filled out once per individual in order to enter them into our system and allow checks to be cut in their name.
- Registration - Conference flyer, schedule, and registration receipt (if done online, print online receipt).
- Airfare – Original itemized receipt with itinerary (if paid for by staff).
- Mileage - Beginning and ending odometer readings for each trip are required. Mileage reimbursement for out-of state travel cannot exceed the cost of the lowest coach airfare to the same location.
- Hotel – The original hotel folio (invoice) with itemized charges is required. This document is available upon checkout. Please also submit a conference flyer indicating that the hotel is a designated as a conference hotel.
- Per Diem – DO NOT submit receipts for any meals or food. The per diem rate is determined by the State of Arizona Travel Policy.
- Other Travel Expenses - Original itemized receipts are required for taxi, shuttle, bus, baggage, and other local ground travel expenses.
QUESTIONS – Please call 225-6290